Thursday, June 24, 2010

Turning Japanese

I would LOVE to move to Japan.  With or without the family, if an opportunity came up for me to move there, I'd be on the next plane out.

My husband thinks it's funny- I'm horridly allergic to seafood- ALL seafood.  And yes, even with this allergy, I want to move to a country who thrives on seafood.

I love the tradition.  I love the dichotomy of old meets new.  I love that women are traditionalists in their home roles.  (Yes, I'm a huge feminist- and I'm a follower of gender roles, but that's a whole different post.)  I love the religions, the ettiquette and the formality of it all.  I even love the whole technologically advanced hand in hand with the ancient wonders of nature.


I think mainly I love the simplicity that is bourne from the frenetic.

I cook a lot of Japanese food.  Two of my favorite cookbooks are In the Japanese Kitchen, and Food from Japan.  To get the kids involved, I started making bento lunches.  We watch a lot of anime. 

Yes, I'm a Japan geek.  I don't want to go to Japan and be one of those tourist types that wants to do all this "traditional" stuff.  I want to go and fit in.

No comments:

Post a Comment