Monday, June 28, 2010

The Week of Single Parenting Begins Anew

Every third week, my husband goes "on call" for his company.
I hate "on call".
My Hubby works for a wireless company that will remain nameless but would probably be revealed should I mention that my phone is a Droid.  Oh wait, I wasn't supposed to say that.

But, anyway, Hubby goes on call and my life screeches to a halt. 
Being on call means that Hubby must have a working vehicle from 5pm to 8 am.  So, any and all errands I run must happen between 9am and 4pm--- and during the weekend I'm not allowed to go anywhere at all.  And when I do go out, I can't go more than five minutes away.  This is all to prevent the odd chance that he "might" get called with an outage. 

Does it happen?  Yeah, from time to time.  But, normally the things he's called for are things that were already on the schedule or were expected such as an install or a freak storm.

To make matter worse- on call weeks are automatic night shifts.  This means he's gone all night and asleep all day.  And, since he's injured his knee, he sleeps on the couch so he doesn't have to climb the stairs to our room.

ASLEEP ALL DAY ON THE COUCH WITH THREE KIDS UNDER TEN IN THE HOUSE!!!!
So, I can't go anywhere to take the kids.  THE LOUD, NOISY, WHINY, ACTIVE KIDS.

This is the very definition of insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment